Friday, February 22, 2008

Letters 1-3

I found these first three letters to be very and interesting. I have never read something like this before, from a "Devil's" side of view, and I found it to be quite humorous. Screwtape is trying to teach his nephew, Wormwood how to control and manipulate his "patient", a human into being evil and turn towards them in Hell. I think it is amusing the way he tells him to make the human think a certain way and once he does, to keep him in that direction. It is comical the way Screwtape talks about the "Enemy" and how one can never overhear what "He" says. My favorite part is when he tells Wormwood to try and turn the human against his mother, because they have lived together for so long, there are things in their lives that can be used to do just that, such as the annoying sounds or looks they make. Screwtape tells Wormwood to allow the human to pay attention to these looks from his mother and make sure he thinks about them in a way to make him not like her. These letters make me feel like there are human conditions in Screwtape and his nephew in the way that he is affectionate towards his nephew much like humans are to their relatives. It is also interesting and yet scary to think about the fact that there could be a demon or devil controlling our thoughts and ideas everyday. I have heard of guardian angels, but this is essentially the opposite. It makes me wonder if something like Screwtape exists and possibly causes all the evil in the world. So far I really found the reading interesting, and I want to find out what happens to the human.

1 comment:

charlene medina said...

I definitely have to agree with you, It is very scary to know that evil exists and that it can work its way into manipulating people. I also thought it was funny that he used the mother and son as an example. It is very easy to find something to complain about in those that we are close to and let it accumulate until we explode and turn against eachother.